About

WHO WE ARE

Founded in 1950 in the city of Shawinigan, Société Laurentide is a privately owned manufacturing company, divided as follows ;

  • Laurentide Industrial coatings, specialized in the design and manufacturing  of industrial paints;

  • Laurentide Re/sources inc., leader in the recovery and reclamation of post-consumer residual paint.  Also a sorting facility for used oils, batteries and mercury- containing bulbs.

The company owns;

  • plants located in Shawinigan, Victoriaville and Springhill (Nova Scotia) ;

  • distribution centers located in Shawinigan, Richibucto (New Brunswick) and St-John (Newfoundland and Labrador) ;

  • various drop-off points in Ontario and western Canada

 

1950

Young graduate in Chemistry, Gabriel Buisson launches into the paint industry producing a lacquer thinner. He works out of a modest location adjacent to the 6eme Rue in Shawinigan.

1958

Laurentide Chemicals is incorporated.

1959

The Shawinigan plant is built. It still stands, to this day, as the Head Quarters for the company.

1962

The Richibucto plant (New Brunswick) is inaugurated. It specializes in the production of radiator antifreeze and traffic paint. The company is expanding.

1973

Laurentide Chemicals acquires Peinture Nationale de Québec, making them the second largest player in Quebec’s architectural paint market.

1990

After 40 years of continual growth, the Quebec company renews itself in the face of a shifting economy. It chooses to « be part of the solution and not the environmental problem ». From then on, the focus is on paint recovery management and its reclamation process, in Quebec as well as in the rest of Canada. In the same year, paint recovery and recycling germinates in the mind of Victoriaville high school teacher, Normand Maurice, who seeks out to enhance the potential of young students with learning dissabilities. Troubled equally by the quantity of school drop outs, the destruction of the environment and energy waste, Normand Maurice assumes that « new resources can be generated from waste ».

1991

The « father of recovery » in Quebec, Normand Maurice, creates the first Business and Resource Recovery Training Center (CFER) in Victoriaville. Along with his students, he recovers paint residues brought to them by citizens, and creates new paint. In close collaboration with Peinture Laurentide and Rona retailers, the first version of recycled paint is marketed.

1997

Normand Maurice’s determination brings an influential group from the Quebec paint industry, Société Laurentide and Sico Paints, to join forces and eliminate sending paint residues and their containers to landfill sites, which represented 50% of all household waste at the time. The first business relationship is established on a voluntary basis with the CFER in Victoriaville.

1998

The members of the paint industry lend support to the CFER in Victoriaville with an investment of $1.2 million dollars.

2001

Manufacturers and paint brand owners from Quebec, such as Société Laurentide, create Éco-Peinture, a non-profit corporation on the ecological management of paint. Its creation occurs when the Government of Quebec adopts a Regulation for the recovery and reclamation of discarded paint and paint containers, thereby creating an obligation for all businesses selling architectural paint in Quebec to recover, or have recovered, residual paint and their containers.

2003

Société Laurentide acquires Peinture Récupérée du Québec (PRQ) in Victoriaville while manufacturing Rona ECO paint, available across Canada. It is the start of the production of Boomerang recycled paint!

2007

Laurentide Industrial develops a new water-based Uraqua system isocyanate free for the doors and windows industry.

2008

Société Laurentide concludes a distribution agreement with General Paint for Para and Crown Diamond paints.

2009

Société Laurentide expands and modernises its Victoriaville plant.

2010

Société Laurentide relocates its architectural paint production from Quebec city to a new plant in Shawinigan.

2011

Société Laurentide’s architectural paint division is acquired by the COMEX multinational

2017

Société Laurentide renames its Laurentide industrial division to Laurentide Industrial coatings, a name better suited to describe its activities.